Thursday, March 13, 2014

My Bathroom is Being Tiled Today!


Since we've had so many false starts on our lower level bathroom remodel I didn't want to post about it again until it was started.  Our tiler is here and his first job is fixing all the mistakes the previous drywall contractor made, ugh.  Anyway, this is the wet room where there will be a freestanding bath along the far wall and a shower to the right.  Frameless glass will separate this area from the other part of the bathroom.
 

 12 x 24 glossy white tiles will be stacked vertical on the wet room walls with this wavy glass tile from New Ravenna as a 5' tall - x 4' wide feature centered behind the tub.


Here is the sample to give you a better idea of the final look.  All the fixtures will be brass.



So here's my risky decision.  I needed to economize for on the shower floor and got great advice to go w/ small square white tiles for the shower floor but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  Just wasn't feeling the little squares w/the large 12 - x 24 rectangles.  So, I went these octagon dot tiles.  I know some people will think they pull attention away from the feature wavy green glass but when I've seen these octagon dot tiles grouted in white it seems they just become a textured field of white.  We'll see!


Here's the other side of the bath where the vanity and tiled floor will be.  The part will be covered in these beautiful light gray 12 - 24 tiles in an offset running pattern with gray grout.  


OK so that's the news from here today!    (I'll do sources and info on the Tiler we're using too as soon as the bathroom is finished)

15 comments:

Hartwood Roses said...

I was totally with you on all of your choices, nodding my head and smiling, until I saw that you are thinking of white grout on the shower floor. White grout on a wall, okay ... but on the floor? I will never do that again! I hope it works out differently for you than it did for us.

Nancy {at} powellbrower at home said...

That wavy accent wall of tile will make the entire room! Love the octogon choice. So great to have a new project under way..it will be great. xo Nancy

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Totally LOVING your tile decision. It will look very dramatic when done. Looking forward to additional updates on your bathroom.
Vera

An Urban Cottage said...

I like the plan! Good luck, that's a heck of a lot of tiling.

Katherine said...

I think you made the right decision with the small tiles grouted in white for the floor.

niartist said...

OMG! Ok, so here's a tip on that Octagon Dot tile. Tell your tile contractor NOT TO TRUST the pre measured lines between the tiles. They're not correct. I used this in my bathroom upstairs, and I hate it because you can tell that the grout spacing is uneven. If I could afford to go back and redo it all now I would in a heart beat, but what's done is done. Just tell him to be particularly careful with that one. Daltile is notorious for faulting their glue dot tile. Mesh back is pretty good! It's gonna look fantastic!

Ashley said...

Oh me, oh my, the wavy tile is as calming as the ocean. I love it. Definitely worth splurging there. I'm chomping at the bit to see more and am really interested to see how the tile combo works--I trust your eye.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I love this stuff!! Construction is my reality tv. Your tile choices are perfect. Good luck with this.

home before dark said...

I love it when a plan comes together. I put the same tile in my bath for the same reason. I had used penny tile in another bath floor: too much grout. I like the way this tile feels on bare feet!

Fingers crossed: may the goddess of remodeling be on your side. You've earned it.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I think your decision to go for the octagon tiles is great! Vintage and classic and safe as well (we were advised to go with small tiles as well for the floor for better grip)these tiles will go beautifully with that awesome wavy tile! This is going to be lovely! And thank you so much for coming to visit me today! I hope spring is coming to you out in D.C; we had a brutal winter, didn't we? Have fun with your project! Anita

Annapolady said...

I think your choices are spot on. Beautiful tiles! And I'm excited to see that faucet - I think I remember you purchasing it a year or so ago. Since the first time you posted it I have carried a crush on it!

therelishedroost said...

All about the large scale tile on the walls , we LOVE that!1 I also love the wave blue tile for shower just wonderful!! It will look fabulous!

Margaret Perron said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kimberly Lemmon said...

I have used that very tile over and over again because it's so neutral and budget friendly. The scale and the fact that it's an all-over pattern makes it easy on the eyes so no worries at all. Love your choices!

David Larkin said...

Good choice on your new set of tiles, Michele! Isn't it wonderful that one's bathroom could look better with such alterations? By the way, how is it now? Sadly, taking care of one's interior is a responsibility a lot of homeowners are neglecting. Good thing there are professionals who can take over the work of home improvement projects like this.

David Larkin

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails