Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Book cover love

During spring break I needed a good book for the beach so I bought The Southern Cosmopolitan by Susan Sully. It has a gorgeous book cover (below) but I'm favoring it sans cover with a little gold seahorse resting upon it. Right now it's on a table in my family room serving as eye candy.
The Way We Live - to be released in a few days - also has a cover that really draws me in. The photography is by the late Gilles de Chabaneix.
Here's another Rizzoli publication that won't be out until the fall. Beautiful cover!
Came across this book and thought this was also a succesful image for the cover. Love the bleached wood panelled walls, modern couch and the french furniture.
Interiors by Design first came out in hardback in 2003. The room featured in the 2008 paperback release cover is different. I like the 2008 cover best. I've read this book and at its current price of $19.95 recommend it. The author, Ros Byam Shaw, is a former features editor of World of Interiors.
Here's the 2003 Hardcover edition.
I've recently ordered another one of her books, Old House New Home. In this case, I like the old hardcover a bit more.

Above is the hardcover edition. Below is the paperback version with a different cover.
Now the only problem with the paperback version is you can't peel off the cover and enjoy the color underneath. What's a favorite book cover of yours? Do you sometimes like the color under the cover better?

18 comments:

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I am such a sucker for book covers. There's really wonderful artwork on them these days. These all look tempting! Awfully tempting!

Bayou Contessa said...

I actually had the good fortune to attend a book signing tonight for Southern Cosmopolitan and thoroughly enjoyed meeting the wonderful Susan Sully and have her inscribe my book!
I've been enthralled with paging my way through it, and can't put it down. Design book covers ARE works of art!

HeddyShea said...

The cover of the first book "The Southern Cosmpolitan" I NEED that chair - I love the fabric- is the Ikat???

XO
SimplyHeddyShea

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

I'm with you on book covers...but DO love a lot of the colors underneath!

yvonne said...

Wow - I am going to need to beg for a lot of bookstore gift cards for my birthday. So beautiful!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I love to buy books based on the cover LOL -is that wrong? I love both the michael smith book covers -i have them prominently displayed on my console - they're works of art!

Regina at Fauxology said...

Personally, I love most of the Rizzoli books. I know I'm buying something beautiful for years to come. Totally enjoyed the way you paired the beautiful blue cover with the seahorse!

alice said...

I always pull the cover off- I look at books too frequently to keep the covers in good shape, plus I love the color underneath!

I don't know how I feel about all these softcover books coming out....I'll have to control the wear and tear on my books a little better I suppose!

Heather said...

I actually thought that the seahorse was part of the book cover!

Kwana said...

Great idea for a post. These are beauties. I want to run my hand over them.

Michelle said...

What a great post! Those covers suck us right in...and for good reason...these are some of the best I have seen.

I want a couple of them!

Best,
Michelle

pve design said...

always.
Guilty of peeling the cover off to see the innards.
I always love the colored fabric or linen.
pve

Renée Finberg said...

thank you beautiful post !

xx

My Notting Hill said...

So agree with everyone - many of these covers are works of art.

Architect Design - Your comment made me smile. Right now the paper cover (sans book) is on display in my office while the marigold color book (sans cover) is on display someplace else!

HeddyShea - Hi. I left a comment on your blog. It is ikat and the designer is Hal Williamson.

I agree with everyone - I might need a micro-loan so buy all the books I have my eye on!

ana said...

I love your blog, I follow it every day
you post absolutely cute things




blogdljr.blogspot.com

Thomas said...

i usually pull my covers off. i always feel guilty but prefer the solid color.

annechovie said...

Michele, you are SO tempting me with all these lovely covers...I need to see these. Thanks and have a terrific weekend!

Windlost said...

Thanks for the tip on the Suzanne Kasler book - I had no idea she had one on the press. How exciting - she is a favorite of mine. All gorgeous covers!

Terri xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails