Wednesday, October 23, 2013

One Room Challenge: Week 4

Week 4 - Well past the 1/2 way point!  If you happen to be new to my blog, I'm participating in the One Room Challenge - 20 bloggers, 1 room, 6 weeks, created by Linda of Calling It Home.  (previous three weeks here.)

(Image I took back in 2009 in Stacy Hyde's now-closed Dallas store.)

Before I get to the new stuff, here's a quick update on what's been done for my library/dining room:

  •  Floors - finally painted white and finished!   Huge thanks to Sherry of Design Indulgence, Steve of An Urban Cottage and Elizabeth of Little Black Door for holding my virtual hand when things didn't work out at first (including fumes that lingered for days)  After conversing with Elizabeth, I decided to switch to Sherwin Williams floor paint and things went beautifully.  Although I don't have the semi-opaque floors I was originally going for, I'm happy with them.
  • Drapes - almost...done
  • Dining Room table has been refinished.  Years ago I foolishly followed advice to coat it in polyurethane with only served to make the cherry even more orange.  Here it is prior to refinishing.
    I'll be doing a whole post on that because I want to share what not to do after you strip the urethane off- steel wool and hot vinegar is a serious no-no!!!- and how lemon/juice and salt saved my a_ s.  

So, let's move on to fun stuff.

Over the Mantle:   I need to figure out  what do do over my faux fireplace mantle and I'm leaning towards layering a sunburst mirror over another mirror.


Source unknown, image via Interior Exposure

Here's the mirror.  You may recognize it, it's the Martha Stewart from Home Depot {on those new white floors :) }


I've gone over it with Gold Leaf Rub 'n Buff to tone down the orangey finish.





BEFORE:  Here's the view from side french doors to the faux fireplace I'm thinking of having the layered mirrors over.  The plan is for a large piece of abstract art on the wall to the right. So, what do think of this plan?

Furniture:  Besides the dining table and desk, I want to have a buffet or server.  BEFORE, my parent's danish modern buffet was in the dining room.  In my ongoing quest to get rid of orange, the buffet has been moved to the living room

and I plan to bring in this bar cart instead.


I'm returning the hardware back to its original brass finish.

In this case, hot vinegar works well on removing the silver spray paint from the knobs.

Faux Fireplace Screen:

I'm also considering creating a fireplace screen using this marbled paper to try and add some dimension to that space.

Things still left to do:


  • Move furniture in and arrange 
  • Add artwork
  • Add lighting
  • Style shelves and accessorize

I'd love to hear your opinion and suggestions!

Be sure to check out the Week 4 progress for the other 19 bloggers in the One Room Challenge and don't forget  the ORC Linking Party on Calling it Home on Thursday.

Calling it Home
Chinoiserie Chic
Classic Casual Home
Cottage and Vine
Design Addict Mom
Design Crisis
Design Indulgence
Design Manifest
The English Room
The Green Room Interiors
Henhurst Interiors
Little Black Door
Maddie's Nest
Mix And Chic
Pawleys Island Posh
The Pink Pagoda
Shelter
Simple Details
The Vault Files

29 comments:

Connie in Hartwood said...

Yay!!! You've done the hard stuff, and now you're on to the 'playing house' part of the project. Congrats on getting the floor finished!!

Elisa of Fancy Free Me said...

Love the mirror plan! It makes so much sense to layer mirrors across from your french doors to your yard. It's going to make for a lovely reflection. So glad you got the floors figured out, floors are tough business, be so proud!!

Julia Ryan said...

I'm using that same mirror in my room too! So fun!

Ashley said...

Aren't blog friends great? I'm really looking forward to seeing your floors now.

And the layered mirrors? What a great idea.

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

I love the idea of layered mirrors. Its looking really pretty.

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

I love the idea of the layered mirrors and congrats on being done with the floors! Sounds like he fun is finally beginning around there!

Beth Connolly said...

Ditto on loving the layered mirrors. Such a cool idea.

Karena said...

Love your plan Michele! The mirror over mirror layering is very smart looking!

xoxo
Karena
New_2013 Designer Series

cindy hattersley design said...

What a clever idea to use that Home Depot mirror. Hmmmm you have me thinking! I am anxious to see the marble paper. I have so wanted to try it somewhere!!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Wahoo! I'm so glad that paint worked out for you. The sneak peek of the floors looks great. And I love a good layered look so I think the mirror or mirror thing is a fab idea!

Erin said...

I fully support any project using that marbled paper... LOVE. And I'm impressed at your diy skillz!

House of Pemberley said...

I cannot wait to read about your stripping. Wait, that seems kind of weird to type. lol. That fireplace screen idea is going to rock. Cannot wait!

Anonymous said...

WOW! Painting floors can be so intimidating! Can't wait to see them! And the marble paper and mirrors...you are definitely on the right track!

Jessie said...

Glad you get your floors finished! Can't wait to see the marbled paper in room! Love your plans so far.

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

therelishedroost said...

I am so excited to see this dining room I know its going to look fantastic!!!
Karolyn

An Urban Cottage said...

Looking good. I'm eager to see more of the floors.

Have you tried/considered painting the brink inside the mantel opening a flat black (or other dark color) to get it to recede more?

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

You tease, I am dying to see those floors. Hurray for the virtual team. Love the layering mirror idea. Hot vinegar might be the best tip I have read about removing paint.

The Pink Pagoda said...

I like the An Urban Cottage's idea of flat black. I'm also so very much not a fan of wood that goes orange. Cannot wait to see your floors. Isn't it great having such talented friends to come to rescue?!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

This is such an exciting room to follow! I can't wait to see your floors! That inspiration image with the layered mirrors is gorgeous…..I love the direction you're headed!

Woodside Park said...

The white floors: can't wait to see larger image!! And the layered mirror - so chic!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Wow...You really have my attention!!! This is very cool. Can't wait for more.

René said...

Looking forward to seeing the new floors ( Mine are orange too)and the new panels.

niartist said...

Funny, Salt and lemon juice got rid of a pretty awful rub on tan I did when I was in high school! That stuff must be a orange-haters best friend! :)
Can't wait to see it finished!
A

pam {simple details} said...

Ha! I just today took photos of a job I finished, we layered two of those mirrors over Ikea mirrors! It will be great! That marble paper is beautiful, can't wait to see your plan!

Unknown said...

I'm sure you're relieved that the floors are done! Love the idea of sunburst layered over a larger mirror. I might have to use that somewhere. Also, that marbled paper is gorgeous - art in itself!

SHERRY HART said...

First of all I am so glad you are happy with your floors....phew! Second I have that same mirror and did not think of putting rub and buff on it....good deal. Love a mirror on mirror plan.

Pat said...

Hurry with the table advise...I'm about to strip one in the same shape!

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Cant wait to see your floor...love the mirror!

spark! (Ada-Marie) said...

Love the marbled paper idea -- I am doing something similar for my One Room Challenge DIY art! Looking great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails