Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Onyx led to Alabaster

It's fun how blogging can make you interested in learning. When I first saw the onyx pieces at Denver's WS Home I asked the store designer about those "alabaster pieces". I found WiseGeek to be very informative, "Alabaster is a term which is used to refer to two forms of calcium. Both are characterized by being creamy to snow white in color, and they have been used in carving, ornaments, and ornamental statuary for centuries. The color of alabaster is so memorable that the word is also used to refer to other white objects, which is why romance novels refer to “alabaster bosoms.” Onyx is a semi-precious form of chalcedony which has alternating straight bands of color, most commonly brown, red, white, and black.

The alabaster bird bath and table lighter are available at The Pickled Hutch, a store I found out via Found Now Home.

Image via Decor Journal,from a very informative post about grisaille - again, I learned something! I love his pairing of the gray wall with the warm alabaster vases.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails