Thursday, April 16, 2009

Gardens, Gates & Doors

Let's just say I got a few concerned gazes from people as I held my camera inches from these door knockers. I'm happy that no one opened up the door while I was snapping shots - or on second thought that would have given me a chance to say, "I'm a blogger and was wondering if you wouldn't mind me doing an impromptu photo shoot of your gorgeous house...?"

A door in the French quarter.
Charleston is full of wonderful gates and hidden side gardens everywhere you turn.


Above is one of my favorite houses. You can see the garage off to the right. Take a close look at the picture below - it's an interior close-up of the garage.

My picture only shows 2 but there were 3 wall mounted tables with the metal branches w/birds and candle votives. What a garage interior!!

Love this conservatory.



A gated path that connects King Street and Archdale Street. It brings you into the churchyard of the Unitarian Universalist Church.
Formal gardens.



Love the pig featured on the plaque above the fountain.




In the foreground is the graveyard from the Unitarian Universalist Church on Archdale St. Our carriage ride guide pointed out its free-flowing garden is purposefully wild so the departed can be closer to nature. Contrast that with the St. John's Lutheran church next door's tidy, mowed graveyard in the background of the photo. Below is a Fairy House - this caught the attention of many passerbys.

Have a great weekend. Hoping yours is sunny!

24 comments:

Lee said...

You have opened my eyes to the beauty and charm of Charleston! Maybe one day I will get to see all this first hand. Thank you for bringing Charleston to my doorstep. Lee :)

ArchitectDesign™ said...

wow, i love seeing these detail shots!!! Thanks!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

I just got a little giggle imagining someone actually opening their front door as you were taking some shots. Ha ha.. Lovely shots. I can't believe the interior of that garage. I need to step it up in mine!!!

Have a great weekend as well.

teaorwine said...

Seems we both wandered the same streets recently! Beautiful pictures.

Roberta said...

It never ceases to amaze me how much care goes into the details for the interiors and exteriors of the homes in Charleston. The yards no matter how tiny, yes even if it is just a windowbox, are fresh and full of flowerts and manicured shrubs, etc. The doors are always freshly painted and polished...and who decorates a garage with foyer tables...only in Charleston. I never get tired of walking the streets and "peeking" at these homes. So much fun! Roberta
http://con-tain-it.typepad.com

ana said...

I absolutely love your blog
regards from Mexico
www.blogdljr.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

love all the window boxes!

Unknown said...

What great photos you have taken. You really have an eye for detail and capturing the essence of the scent. Charleston looks like a beautiful city with so much charm.

vicki archer said...

Lovely gates and doors - I always love peeking through driveways and doorways in the hope of a sneak preview of something wonderful, xv.

Unknown said...

I love this post. I am completely obsessed with doors. Your pictures are gorgeous!

Fifi Flowers said...

BEAUTIFUL post... ENJOY your weekend! Fifi

Martha said...

What beautiful pictures. I've not been to Charleston in person but I have through your eyes and lens. thanks for sharing!

CindieQuilts said...

Thanks for the lovely memories of Charleston. And the UU church garden! As a UU myself, I think I have to plant a garden on our expansive church lawn!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Charleston is such an inspiring city. Especially in spring. How I would love to have a conservatory like that one you've shown!!

Happy Weekend!

Unknown said...

i LOVE someone that decorates their garage! love!

Renée Finberg said...

you have taken some absolutely great shots !!!

love this post.

xx

Edward Smith said...

It was so nice to see pictures of home again, living in DC at a frenetic pace I forget how graceful daily living can be.:-) I'm glad you got to visit during the spring. (I am jealous of the Bruges trip, I've never been and always wanted to go.)

My Notting Hill said...

Thanks everyone for all these comments!

Haven and Home said...

Oh I love these pictures, so lovely.

Marnie said...

Charleston is a place that I want to visit - thanks for the sneak peak - the garage was amazing - something to aspire too!

Charlie said...

Such beautiful details, after seeing the gorgeous exteriors I would love to peek inside the actual homes! I can only imagine it is just as beautiful and interesting inside . I can't believe the interior of the garage, it's so stepfordy, but in a good way:-)

Hope you had a great time and thanks for the tour!

DesignTies said...

I love interesting doors. You've posted some beauties here!! The gates and gardens are great too. And love that conservatory!!

Kelly @ DesignTies

pve design said...

If you were my Master, and I was your slave, I would draw anything you see. What amazing things. Ahh!

Lisa Porter said...

Just when i thought i had seen the last wonderful photo.....there was the best saved for last. Thanks for the great post AND for adding TLPC to your blog list. I really do appreciate it!
Have a great week.
All the best.
Lisa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails