Monday, July 13, 2009

DC Designer Series: Dolly Howarth

It has been a while since my last DC Designer post and I'm happy to return to it by featuring the work of Dolly Howarth of Howarth Designs. Love Dolly's confident use of strong color and thoughtful selection and placement of furniture. She designs room that let the artwork stand out; such as in this space with the blue abstract painting. It is quite striking against the red stripes. The flaired leg table also plays off the torch-style sconce beautifully. (Images posted with permission. All photography by Angie Seckinger)

I think this cabinet is a beautiful piece - an unexpected color and the perfect size for the angled wall.
The Washington DC area is known for its red dining rooms but this one is anything but the typical. Traditional furniture is paired with a contemporary carpet and accents of blue for a fresh look. Even the chandelier has a bit of twist with its oversized crystal pieces. photos: Angie Seckinger
A warm and enveloping bedroom with curtains that span the room. The metallic finish on the bedside bureau adds a touch of glamour to this restful design.
photo: Angie Seckinger
Love these upholstered chairs!
This kitchen is an artful mix of traditional and contemporary. Fun backsplash tile! Notice the wood drawers on either side of the stove - they tie in with the wood used on the island. This was just a small peek into Dolly's designs - to see more click here.

16 comments:

Sixpence and A Blue Moon said...

The RED dining room is FABULOUS!!! I've always wanted a red dining room...maybe one day. Inspiring photos.

Have a wonderful week.

La Maison Fou said...

I like the built ins in the bedroom, so clean lined and chic!
L

The Blushing Hostess said...

That red wallpaper is startling and fabulous. Would I be that bold? Maybe if I did not change my decor-mind so much...

Jeannine | The Small and Chic Home said...

WOW! The living room is fabulous...simple furniture placement, but beautifully done! Thanks for sharing Dolly's work!

Charlie said...

The red horizontal stripes are gorgeous! I love the boldness of the color and the subtlety of the wide stripe. Great home and inspiring photos.

CRICKET said...

I like the way the traditional and contemporary has been mixed, it is so well done. Its inspiring to know that you can mix and have it be successful. What a wonderful blog!

My Notting Hill said...

Agree - the striped red walls are great! They're so crisp that they look like wallpaper but the designer let me know that it's alternating flat and high gloss paint.

Beth Connolly said...

I love the horizontal red stripes. In my neighborhood, red dining rooms are required I believe, with ancestor portraits and crystal chandeliers. This is such a fresh modern approach-love it!

LindsB said...

I am in love with that red dining room, everything about it is so fab!

vicki archer said...

It is very brave work but I love it- sometimes it is a refreshing change to have such wonderful colour. xv

Renée Finberg said...

i love the master bedroom fireplace, and the wall of cabinets.

really sharp
xx

Matters of Style said...

It's always nice to learn about local designers- great feature!

Scott Fazzini said...

I'm so glad that you are featuring Dolly! She is not only wickedly talented, but one of the sweetest people that I have ever met!

Lauren said...

i LOVE the DR!!! such traditional furnishings yet it's so fresh & modern-feeling!!

Anonymous said...

Find the best online Designer Bedroom Furniture India at theurbandecor.com.It has more varieties to choose & it also presents an extensive range of Modern furniture india ,designer bedroom furniture and home Furnishings.

Unknown said...

I agree and I will come back and follow more of your posts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails