Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Part 2: Inside Matthews House and Garden

The love affair with Matthews House and Garden continues! If you read this blog you know that one of my favorite things to do is visit design stores and this is absolutely one of my favorites! All the furniture, artwork and accessories are more than equal to the charming and inspiring architecture of this renovated 175 year old church.
Even on a gray, rainy day the quality of the light is beautiful. One of my favorite pieces of furniture was the high backed sofa with the nail head trim - very stylish and comfortable.
The store is full of interesting tablescapes and vignettes. This one is a reminder of the powerful effect of grouping similar objects together. Love the mix of squash and pears in the compote.

A simple, beatiful vase serves as an adornment to this marble topped table.
Ablsolutely loved this wooden urn with lid. Off to the left is the former alter of the church, now a stunning alcove with peaked ceilings.
Visit Matthews and you might be tempted to spend an afternoon "testing" these chairs while you read a book from the beautiful cabinet.

What I love about this random display of letters is that there are "almost" words in it. Everytime I look at it I think of the words - yes- and -dance-!

My photo of this green tray doesn't do it justice. There was a raised texture to the design and the combination of colors is beautiful. In the peak of the building there is a carved wooden medallion painted in soft colors.
The door to this former church is off to the right of this picture. As you enter the light flooded space, you can look straight ahead out to the gardens. Passing through the archway to the left, you enter the main store with it's soaring ceilings. While we were there I heard a number of visitors exclaim, "wow" as they walked in.

An antique Swedish rain barrel is repurposed as a coffee table.
More of Kevin Chadwick's horse themed trays. I purchased the calligraphy inspired horse but I love these colorful, graffic designs too!


Wanda, Sharon and Kevin were the most wonderful hosts as evidenced by this gorgeous luncheon table. The beautiful, moody painting above is by Kevin.
Two different quiches, two delicious salads and two wonderful desserts (yes, we tried both!)
Here is Wanda Crossley, the creative talent behind Matthews House and Garden. It was such a pleasure to meet Wanda and learn more about her career as both an interior designer and landscape designer. The D.C. area is so lucky now to have Matthews House and Garden on the scene. Can't wait to visit at Christmas time!
9160 John Mosby Hwy in Upperville, VA (540.592.7147) Tue- Sat 10 to 5

22 comments:

Champagne on Tuesdays said...

All beautiful. Thanks for scouting!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

what a great space -i love the little alcove (alter) - perfect spot to relax in!
The dishes really do look like Derian (for a fraction of the cost!)

bluehydrangea said...

Loved this store tour. The former alter with those 2 chairs is my favorite!! How did I get a space like that?

Kristin Forbes-Mullane said...

wow, what a beautiful place! thanks for posting sooo many photos!

Red Door Home said...

I was so excited when I saw you were doing another post about Matthews House and Garden. I am hoping some day to be able to see it all in person.

Jeannine | The Small and Chic Home said...

Hooray! I didn't get to stop in when I was up on Loudoun a few weeks back and I'm so glad to see more pictures of the interior.

Diane Dorrans Saeks said...

Love this-

Thanks.

I will dream of being in Virginia in this lovely season...with centuries of history all around.

Here is California it is warm and sunny and green...so Virginia seems like an exotic and remote place.

Thanks for this insight into a lovely shop...nice owner, too.
cheers...you are on my blog roll so that my readers can find you and enjoy your post.
www.thestylesaloniste.com

Greet Lefèvre said...

I am so glad you did that post today! Just gorgeous! I filed some pictures!
Thank you so much!

Greet

pve design said...

I wish I could twinkle my nose and be right there.
I would be a regular.
pve

the.neo.lifestyle said...

Hi,

What a nice post, loved the first article about that church. But you're right the light is perfection.

And also their mix of objects is very nicely done :-)

David

Pat said...

Love the light fixtures, the barrel and the little green plate with the rabbit, and lots of the other little goodies. looks like an interesting chair i can see just a corner...iron curled arm? Hope you post some more pictures.

Lauren said...

oh my gosh i HAVE TO GO!!!! so many amazing beautiful thigns!!!

i covet the tray and the little glass vase.

wow. ok off too mapquest where "upperville" is!!

xoxo

Lauren said...

ps- your pictures are beautiful as always too!

Boxwood Terrace said...

So much to take in! It's all just beautiful. Wish they had online shopping available!

debra @ 5th and state said...

deborah, how exquisite! i own a shop and can really appreciate the displays from the owners. except for the occasional price tag this felt more like a cozy home, not easy to do.
i will be going thru the area in february and will plan a visit.
please go back and share christmas with us!
wonderful post
debra

Annie Pazoo said...

Stop! Not another photo! Makes me want to move right in there. Now that I think of it, I don't live too fare, could just drive over there and happen to get locked in for the night. Hmmmm.

Linda in AZ * said...

* It F*E*E*L*S sooooo good "in here"... I absolutely, genuinely adore everything about it all, especially the peaceful feeling of being where I feel "welcomed".

That long, oval buffet just soooo speaks to me~ simple & stunning!

And the "alter space", w/ the two chairs, makes me want to share w/ you that we stayed at an incredibly fab B&B that had a similar space to that, only it had never been a church, & its turret-type space was almost ALL glass (clear) overlooking the most beauuuutiful woods/forest! The Inn owners placed the two comfy chairs side-by-side, but so each one faced the OTHER way, so our faces & bodies were facing each other. We were reading, the sun was sooo gently streaming in (like He had joined us!) and Jim & I could read, sip our coffee & look out or up & see each other... didn't need to say a word, just enjoy the moment. You MIGHT want to try that sometime... it was one of OUR best "vacation memories" ever. We touched hands, smiled & kept reading. It was heaven.

Beautiful "EVERYTHING" here!

Warmest,
Linda in AZ *
bellesmom1234@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful store! I would love to visit~

Unknown said...

The space is beautiful but I was disappointed when I went for a visit. The store is very small and the merchandise selection is limited. I was told that access to the cottage was not available because it was the design center. I went on a beautiful fall day and enjoyed wandering Middleburg so all was not lost but I would hesitate to recommend a trip just based on Matthews.

My Notting Hill said...

Denise - Hi. You're right, Middleburg is very close by for those who want to shop more. People traveling out that way can also go to the town of Paris Hill too. However, I do think the church/store is large with a broad selection. In the Spring they will also be carrying a range of garden ornaments, urns, plants, etc.

My Notting Hill said...

- I meant Paris VA, not Paris Hill (that's a town near Waterville NY)

DesertChildAZ said...

I see "yes i can" in the random letters. You can't get a much more positive message in that!

http://desertchildaz.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails