Wednesday, October 16, 2013

One Room Challenge: Week 3

OK, it's Week 3 of the One Room Challenge - 20 bloggers, 6 weeks, 1 room, created by Linda of Calling It Home.  First off, here's an update of the floor situation in my library/dining room.  (Go here for the previous posts)


Finally - sunshine in the DC area! (just had to make note of that)  Above is the floor with 1 coat of BM Floor Paint over 1 coat of regular paint (both in Simply White).  The 1 coat of regular paint (below) was a major uh-ho moment!
I think there's alot of variation in the red oak in this room and the wood absorbed the paint in a blotchy way.  So after spending a day feeling bad, entertaining the idea of drinking bourbon mid-day,  and with the unshakeable feeling "I was in trouble",  I painted over it with 1 coat of BM Floor Paint.  The first picture doesn't look very white - but in real life it looks quite a bit different than it did with just the 1 coat of regular paint.   It's been very humid here so I'm waiting before I put on the second coat of BM Floor Paint.  So the floor saga continues, but I remain hopeful.

On to the Drapes:

I decided to make them myself.  I know, why am I attempting that?  Well, I didn't want to spend the money to have them made because I'm still worried that in a short while I'll grow tired of the floral.  Also, I need to have drapes for 2 more rooms and being able to do it myself would be both satisfying and money saving.  
Here I am laying out the fabric and accidentally realizing that those markings on the border help you match up the pattern.  I kinda happened upon this discovery in the nick of time! Scary, right.



I'm following instructions for DIY lined drapes from House of Hepworths here.  Her instructions are really easy to follow and make intuitive sense - probably why it's been pinned 340,000 times!

Here's the first panel with the 2 combined 54" widths.  The center seam needs to be ironed flat but I was pretty happy with how it lined up.  Let me tell you, a much better feeling than the uh-oh floor moment!

The only thing I'm planning to do differently than the House of Hepworths instructions is to hand sew euro pleats.  Here's an inspiration image from the portfolio of Garden House Studio.


Drawing from Drapery Design

Finally, while I was feeling depressed over the floors I also started pulling together some DIY intaglios for the library/dining room.


So, I estimate I'm about a week behind my original schedule.  Drapes should need to be done next week and so do the floors.  Hope you'll come back to see how I fare.

I'm off to check out the Week 3 progress for the other 19 bloggers in the One Room Challenge and don't forget  the ORC Linking Party on Calling it Home on Thursday.

Calling it Home
Chinoiserie Chic
Classic Casual Home
Cottage and Vine
Design Addict Mom
Design Crisis
Design Indulgence
Design Manifest
The English Room
The Green Room Interiors
Henhurst Interiors
Little Black Door
Maddie's Nest
Mix And Chic
Pawleys Island Posh
The Pink Pagoda
Shelter
Simple Details
The Vault Files

24 comments:

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

I can't imagine how frightening/upsetting the floor is. I am on pins and needles for you.
Making drapes is so easy. Glad to see that you are tackling it yourself.

René said...

Oh I know all about those worried moments when things are going just right. One thing is certain, this room is going to look beautiful when you are finished.

designchic said...

I can't wait to see the draperies...love the direction of your room!!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Those curtains are going to be gorgeous!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I have never heard of Euro Pleats. I like them. I am just doing pinch pleats...they look slightly different. I have faith in the floors turning out. I doubt you will tire of those drapes anytime soon. They are lovely.

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Good on you for making those curtains. The pleats will be killer and I love the fabric.

Beth Connolly said...

You are so brave! Those are both daunting DIY projects, but I'll bet they turn out amazing. I love the fabric.

vicki archer said...

I'm enjoying reading and watching as each room changes and takes shape...I can't wait to see more...xv

http://vickiarcher.com

pam {simple details} said...

Nothing worse than waiting for paint to dry when you're crunched for time! I can totally envision your drapes in there ~ gorgeous!

Woodside Park said...

Your curtains are gonna be fabulous! Good luck on your floors....fingers crossed!

Karena said...

Loving the floor Michele and amazed that you are making these fabulous curtain panels! Bravo!

xoxo
Karena
2013 Designer Series

Julia Ryan said...

Love the pleats on those panels!

The Pink Pagoda said...

Your floors will be beautiful! I'm so impressed that you're making the drapes yourself -- I wish I had that ability!

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

Oo these drapes will be fantastic! Good luck with the floors. I love the look you are going for.

Ashley said...

Good for you for taking on the curtain sewing. I think you are inspiring to do so...I've made many curtains for my house and love the custom look.

SHERRY HART said...

I think the floors are going to turn out great....don't hyper focus too much because you will have a rug and other things going on in the room. Also I am impressed that you are making curtains. I can sew but just the thought of wrangling with all of that fabric would make me nervous! But in the pond run you are right...what if you get tired of them and you spent a million dollars.

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Maybe it is the lighting but I think your floors are looking good. But wow, you really are tackling two major DIY projects. I am super impressed you are making drapes and I never knew about the pattern matching help on the selvege. Good to know.I love Euro pleats....have them in all but one room in my house. Cannot wait to hear how they are to make!

therelishedroost said...

It will be just fine, that darn red oak I had the same issue when trying to do a driftwood stain in a clients room! The paint is the way to go it will be great! Love the intaglios too!
Karolyn

Jessie said...

You did a great job matching the patterns on your drapes, I am jealous of your sewing skills
! Your floors will turn out great in end, I am sure. Looking forward to see updates next week!

Jessie

Unknown said...

Oh, if only I had learned to sew. One of my big regrets in life. I'm hoping all will be well with those floors, and I'm so excited to see a floral print!!

Boxwood Terrace said...

I know that "uh oh" feeling when it comes to home improvement projects, but I bet your floors will be great when finished. I'm so impressed that you're sewing your own drapes--the fabric is lovely. Looking forward to seeing more.

Deborah

William Gulliver said...

This challenge is really exciting! Too bad I wasn't able to join. Hmm. Anyway, I love how you blended the colors of your walls and the floor. It'll be easier for you to play with the colors of the furniture because of that. Anyway, keep me updated with your next renovations. Good luck on the challenge too. :)

William Gulliver @ UpAndAboveContractors.com

Carrie said...

Isn't that a terrible feeling when something doesn't quite work at first? I'm glad it's turning around for you! This is going to look really beautiful when you are done!

Maria at inredningsvis said...

What a AMAZING post:) your blog Is so beautiful and Im now following on pinterest..hope you follow back.

Check my blog...with stylish Swedish fireplaces:)

Have a great Sunday dear

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis - inredning it's, Swedish for decor :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails