Thursday, August 21, 2014

My New Carpet & Eco- Fiber Rug Pad


We just put down a custom-size remnant of Stanton Whittier Linen in my daughter's room.  She picked it herself and I think it looks beautiful with the Farrow & Ball Theresa's Green walls and the bright pink accents she's added in. It's made of 80% wool and 20% polyester so it had only had a slight "new carpet smell" that you typically expect.
When I purchased the carpet, I didn't get the rug pad to go along with it.  The experiences I've had with rug pads have been disappointing - they've smelled for a long time and they pretty much disintegrated, leaving particles behind.  Looking something like this.  In fact, I haven't bought a rug pad since 1992 (seriously - I know the date because I wouldn't buy one for my son's nursery in 1994 )
I know that every carpet should have a rug pad to improve wear and tear but I really didn't want to spend money on something I feared would harm the air quality in our home.  Fortunately for me, the folks at RugPadUSA offered me a rug pad and they had just what I was looking for: the Eco-Fiber 100% felt rug pad.


It comes in 3 thicknesses - 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4".  I went with the 1/4", it works well with the low pile of the Stark carpet and provides just the right amount of cushion.   When it arrived and we rolled it out, it had no smell at all -  please know that I don't make this claim lightly.  Even though this pad was given to me, I am so happy to say it didn't have any odor to it.   RugPadUSA notes the following about their Eco-Fiber pads - "are non toxic, odor free, and 100% safe to use on your floors and in your home. Unlike many other felt rug pads, our products are tested quarterly by the Carpet and Rug Institute, a non-profit agency with strict environmental standards. Our Eco-Fiber felt pads also contribute to the LEED point rating system of U.S. Green Building Council for low emmissions, design innovation, and recycled content."   Here's a pic of ours before the carpet was rolled over it


and a close-up shot.  It is a nice, dense felt with a solid feel underfoot.


While I went with the 100% felt rug pad, there are are a range of options to choose from to meet your exact needs, including rug pads to reduce slippage.  All their rug pads come with free shipping, free returns, free custom cutting and trimming and a warranty.  They also have a discount to the Trade.  Be sure to check RugPadUSA out - I'm so pleased to have this source for the next time I need a rug pad!



9 comments:

Brandi said...

Love your carpet. Rugs USA is such a great company to work with.

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Michele,
So glad you did this post ... First off your daughters rug is stunning! We recently purchased a new wool area rug 8x10 for our dining room and we too went with a Eco-Fiber rug pad in 1/2 inch thickness. Everything you wrote about should be really explained to people when they purchase rug pads. The latex one's start out smelling like poison and for good reason they are! Breaking down to a powder dust of toxic off gassing! You rock for posting this.
Vera

Studio Yuko Jones said...

Your daughter's carpet is gorgeous! I love its pattern and subtle textures. I'm going to pin this post so I'll remember this when I need a rug pad :) Thanks for sharing!

Kristy @ I Design Love said...

Such a beautiful rug!

Unknown said...

Sounds absolutely wonderful, what a trip this would be. Your Rug are amazing.

Trista said...

Where did you find the remnant? It looks great.
Thanks!

cindy hattersley design said...

That stark carpet is one of my all time favs...love it!!

Unknown said...

Your carpet is really beautiful! I love RugpadUSA and they are so generous to offer you ( and I ) rug pads to try. I'll never go back. Have a great weekend. xo Nancy

My Notting Hill said...

Trista - Hi. I bought it at Carpet Palace in Bethesda MD on Wisconsin Ave
http://www.carpetpalacebethesda.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails