Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Trend: The Magazine - Catalog Merge?

Recessions require innovation. I was particularly interested to see the collaboration between Domino magazine and Ballard Designs. Domino transformed a room into a dual-purpose study and dining room using Ballard pieces. Click here for a full listing.

Domino has also paired up with West Elm to select Editor's Picks - here's just a few. Click here to see them all.


West Elm's handloomed striped cotton pillow covers and zigzag rug.


Expresso Butler Tray

Now I"m wondering if we'll see a shelter magazine pair-up with Pottery Barn?? If so, I'd nominate these new pieces:

Verona table lamp
Monroe Console table - notice the interesting leg detail. It's reminiscent of a greek key design.


Bettina pillow
Orange tea garden
Cooper desk chair with slipcover

Just had to add in this lovely shelf from Tracy Porter. It shouldn't be my style but I really like it. Contrasting it against the newsprint makes it so appealing.

13 comments:

cotedetexas said...

that new lighting from pb is unreal! I'm in love with it!!!! great post - food for thought!

London Calling said...

Loving that new Verona lamp too. Especially the floor lamp version.

Andrea said...

I like the shelf ,it's very pretty!

Windlost said...

I love the orange chair and that shelf - delicieux!

simply seleta said...

Hmm, that's interesting. I wasn't aware of the merging. Guess I've been in a cloud for the last few weeks.

The lamp rocks. And I ADORE Tracy Porter; her style, her spirit, her design innovation. It's so refreshing and fun.

Great post!

Annie, bossy color said...

Very interesting trend! And user-friendly to boot. I'm loving the Verona lamp and that orange upholstery. West Elm is shamelessly ripping off Madeleine Weinrib's cotton flatweaves again, but hey, who am I to judge?

Fargerike Dagny said...

I agree, that is an interesting trend. I do question if it's right for an interior design magazine to do it, though. It has a great commercial value for Ballard and West Elm.

Linda Merrill said...

I thought this was an interesting concept when I noticed the connection in the Ballard catalogue. I meant to post on it, but forgot! So, glad you caught it too! I think it's ok - companies have to do what they have to do. Like Pottery Barn and Benjamin Moore linking up to promote the Ben Moore colors in PB cats.

Kwana said...

I guess it's one stop shopping poised as entertainment. It's the way of all things right now. Quick and easy. Still beautiful pieces but it takes the hunt factor away.

Unknown said...

I actually like this idea. I must say, I love the way they styled the Ballard pieces for the editorial. It's quite a departure.

It will be interesting to see who follows suit with this trend.

Leon1234 said...

Hey, how are you doing?

My Notting Hill said...

Thanks for all the comments. Agree - the lighting from PB is quite good. Is it bad to admit that I'll probably watch to see if any of it goes on sale in the next few months? Linda - great reminder that PB and Benjamin Moore have paired up.

Jennifer said...

love that new lamp and table from PB. great picks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails