Saturday, July 31, 2010

Do You Have a Fly Swatter?

Am I crazy to ask this question? Will I lose readers just at the thought of a squished fly on a swatter? (expecially since my friend Lisa reminded me a rolled up newspaper works great and can be thrown out.)
Well, I do have a fly swatter courtesy of attending a really fun wedding at a farm in central New York. As you can see, the handle notes the wedding date.
It came with a cute and creative poem -
Mike and Adrienne wanted to get married on a farm because of the memories and all the country charm. They were worried the flies would annoy their guests so use this fly swatter to put a few to rest!
(p.s. the marks on the poem sticker are not from flies!)

In the D.C. area, flies really aren't a problem and we rarely have them. My fly swatter is tucked away in a hidden area - typically used only when a wasp or bee somehow finds its way in.

As a kid we had a fly swatter hanging up in discrete area off our kitchen. We had no air conditioning and alot of flies that were quite crafty at flying in when we were going in or out the door. Although instead of the swatter we much preferred the entertainment of watching my Dad catch flies in mid-air with his hands!

Here's a Daisy fly swatter from etsy - here.
This etsy Flip-flop fly swatter is fun. The fly is fake. ( here)

So, was this question too crazy or is there a fly swatter somewhere in your house, on your porch or cabin in the woods? Note: no actual flies were harmed in the making of this post.

18 comments:

Susan McClaskey said...

I don't have a fly swatter--I'm more the rolled up newspaper type. A friend recently gave me an old wives method for getting rid of flies. Put three pennies in a little bit of water in a small baggie. Tack several of these on the porch to eliminate flies. Something about the fly's eyes and how it percieves the copper....haven't tried it.

pve design said...

Oh, yes we do. Love your yellow papillion swatter!
pve

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Yes, I have one, but it doesn't look like these. As for the fly, better swashed than in my house!
Teresa (Splendid Sass)

Three Men and a Little Crazy said...

We have one, and it totally grosses me out. I keep it under the sink and am constantly trying to keep my kids away from it. Wouldn't you know, one day I caught my two-year-old licking it. {{{Shudder}}} I think I might start the newspaper trick.

Unknown said...

I saw the flipflop swatter at walgreens the other day. no offense to etsy, but it was probably less expensive

Champagne on Tuesdays said...

LOL, fun post. I live in Annapolis and we have more than our fair share of flies...well, mosquitoes, actually, but despite this, I don't own a fly swatter. Your post makes me want to buy a cute one though, for our deck.

Do you know what brings them down? Windex! I sometimes spray that and it makes them go away. The flies that is, not the mosquitoes. Unfortunately.

Unknown said...

Very cute! I have not had a fly swatter in years! But I have seen a resurgence of them in all sorts of colors and styles.
xo
amanda

The House That A-M Built said...

Oh we sure do have a fly swatter here in Brisbane, Australia... flies everywhere.... due to the heat and humidity... even in winter... if you could call 26 degress C, winter. Can't have a meal with the doors open without a swarm of flies. Love the beauties you found. I need to upgrade! A-M xx

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

No, but my kids are begging me to get one!! They get completely freaked out by flys...:)
Janell

Pigtown*Design said...

so funny! i just tried to buy a fly-swatter and couldn't find one. i even went to a few of the local hardware stores. no luck!

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

What a great idea for a central NY wedding. I was at one in Central NY once...on a lovely farm...the flies outnumbered the guests, sure could have used those!

Anonymous said...

I don't have one, though when I see cute ones like they one you pictured I'm tempted.

Cute post.

Julie

vicki archer said...

I am afraid no fly swatter here....plenty of flies and plenty of rolled up newspapers though.....xv

Unknown said...

Hi Michele! So fun to meet you last night --- a perfect outdoor evening. Not a bug (or fly) in sight.

I don't have a swatter in the house, but clearly my grandmother always having one!

Enjoy your vacation!!!
xo Elizabeth

laney said...

...i do not use a fly swatter...i just sray the offending parties with windex...and them wipe them up with a paper towel...dead flies...clean windows...works like a charm...however flies ...like bees... seem to be disappearing in my part of the south...

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I don't have one but tend to use a magazine on the rare occurence. You're so right, I never noticed but we do have very few flies here in DC! I wonder why...
Growing up in western Pennsylvania they were a constant annoyance!

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

This is a cute post. No fly swatter here but I must say...come visit me in Oakton....perhaps Arlington and DC's flys have taken up residence in the burbs :)

D. Bryant Archie said...

Absolutely hilarious..love these... xxoo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails