Monday, November 5, 2012

Recessed Shelves


While similar to built-in bookshelves, recessed shelves seem to create a slightly different look.  Painted black, these create depth and drama in this gorgeous room with its perfect mix of mod and vintage pieces.  (Andina and Tapia Ponerl Chispa's home via Nuevo Estilo.)


Here  they also add one more layer of interest in Christine d’Ornano's home featured in Elle Decor via My White Room here

Here extra space between the studs transforms this wall.  Via Rosemary at the wonderful blog  Content in a Cottage.
I have built-ins but not recessed shelving here at my house.  Do you have any recessed shelving in your home?

8 comments:

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

So much space int he walls we don't use. These are gorgeous, Michele. The mirror in the first image has caught my curiosity this morning.
Happy Monday.
Teresa
xoxo

TSL said...

Yes! You are so correct! Bookshelves added between studs can add dynamic flare in otherwise obscure places! I got so excited reading your post I burned my toast! xo

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

I love built-ins but recessed shelves have a crispness about them that I would love to have in my house.

A Gift Wrapped Life said...

Wish I had built a few recessed bookshelves when we built our home...........especially in our dining room which I want to convert to a dining room/library. It would have been the perfect spot. xx

designchic said...

They are the perfect way to add interest to a room where there is very little space...love the last image!

The Pink Pagoda said...

I have buit-ins too. The first photo is AMAZING. I hadn't thought much about recessed shelves, but your example images are very intriguing!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Am taken with this look, especially the first image. Dramatic.

Carla Aston said...

I just love these, especially that first example. Tucking things neatly into unused space....what's not to love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails