Friday, February 20, 2015

Project Design: Style Your Coffee Table


It's Friday, yeah!! After an awful bout with the stomach flu I'm happy to be ending this week on a high note with Project Design and the coffee table styling challenge.  Thanks to Mary Ann of Classic Casual Home and Cindy of Rough Luxe Lifestyle for inviting me to participate.  To be honest, I found the glass surface a bit challenging - my goal was to "warm" it up and add in layers while still leaving enough free space for setting down a drink, etc.  Below is a reminder of the state of my living room coffee table with this keeping-it-real snapshot from this past Sunday.  Here you can see there's just messy layers... 




I went with the classic tray approach and added in a few practical elements - candle, matches and cocktail napkins.  Drinks perspire on the glass and create that suction effect so it's nice to have the napkins to prevent that.   The Caribbean Islands book is vintage and full of interesting photos.


I also included a bowl with snapshot proofs of my son's photography from senior year in high school. Akin to a deck of cards,  I think guests would feel comfortable reaching over and thumbing through them.  


I've changed out the green for pink with Anna Spiro's gorgeous Absolutely Beautiful Things and a blush colored Glassybaby. I like the pink with our gold sofa.  Yeah, I should have pushed that cushion down!


In these shots I have a Celtic Cross on the napkins but I prefer the gold shell instead.


Here's a late night shot with one more version of the tray, this time with an extra book.  I'm liking the shell on it's own.

Update - OK, 1 more, lol.  After looking at all these pics this morning I realized I should have pushed the groupings to the center of the table a bit more for some balance.

Now join me in heading over to these bloggers to check out how they've styled their coffee tables - I'm sure there'll be tons of inspiration!

26 comments:

René said...

Glad you are feeling better in time for the weekend. I've always loved glass coffee tables, but I live with a bunch of foot proppers. Love your layered look.

therelishedroost said...

Simple and elegant I love it!

Emily A. Clark said...

Nothing like coffee table styling when you feel like crud! :) Looks really pretty.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Love the shell! putting the photos in the bowl is such a great idea, I may try that myself with postcards. I think the tray always help organize things -I have them throughout my apartment as 'catchalls'. Contain the clutter!

pam {simple details} said...

Sorry you were under the weather, Michele. The photos are a such a great idea, and I love that black and white snake skin covered book! Happy weekend, hope you get to take in the HB! :)

Stacey said...

Love it! It looks fab and elegant!

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Simple but elegant...great job! Hope your feeling better..

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

I love your tray. And so jealous that you have Anna's book. Can't wait to get my copy.

Karena said...

Hi Michele I hope you feel better soon, although here in Kansas City one might as well stay in for the weekend with this Weather!!

Love your styling and I like to switch our according to my mood. Candles and books with favorite accessories are a must as well as a tray for my table! Beautifully done!!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena
The Centre Cannot Hold

Mary Ann Pickett said...

That tray is gorgeous. I love the napkins with the shell...I want to do that. You are amazing! Thanks for participating with us. I have to do some pinning!

cindy hattersley design said...

I am impressed that you could even pull this off while recuperating from the crud!! I love the soothing vibe of your design. It is almost as if it is floating. I always think glass coffee tables are tricky as well. You embraced the glass and created a little oasis! Gorgeous! Thank you so much for participating! You guys are amazing!!

Carla Aston said...

So pretty. I love the color of that Caribbean Island book. Lovely job and even while sick! Feel better soon!

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Michele-
You did a beautiful job with your arrangements. Thanks for throwing in the real. That is what mine looks like right now!
Happy Friday.
Teresa
xoxo

Carrie said...

Beautiful! I love the idea of the photos in the bowl. Glad you are feeling better! :)

The enchanted home said...

Nicely done....isn't it fun to play? Loved the entire concept have a great weekend!

Kathysue said...

Love the last vignette the best! Great use of trays to show how they can corral things beautifully.
Kathysue

Julie said...

That last photo is great! And I absolutely adore your coffee table! Is it vintage?

La Dolfina said...

You did a lovely job with your coffee table. I know it can be a bit more challenging with a glass top table. I am uber jealous of your Absolutely Beautiful Things Coffee Table Book!!! I've been coveting it for a while :)

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Good seeing real life and then how it can look styled. Great silver tray.

SHERRY HART said...

Beautiful classic coffee table Michele! It helps to have a great starting point....love the simple styling especially with the photos in the bowl. That is a great personal touch! Hope you are staying warm:)

La Contessa said...

Loved the shot by night!I dare you to POP over to MY ABODE!!!I have a few more THINGS!!!!!!!!

Calypso In The Country said...

Beautiful - and the Caribbean Islands book really caught my eye!
Shelley

Thehouseofhampton said...

It's my weakness. So I need all the help I could get. You had me at sea grass, glass table top, and beautiful sofa pillow. Now I can concentrate on the styling. Thanks for the tips.
Sharon
The House of Hampton

The Pink Pagoda said...

Happy you're feeling better!! Your coffee table is beautifully styled, and I love the addition of the pink : )

Kim said...

I love how you can change the whole feel of the room by swapping out your books! Hope you are feeling much better, we had several rounds of the flu in our house ... NOT fun!!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Just lovely! I adore the idea of your sons photos for guests to look through, to the brass shell and the terrific book about the magnificent Inveraray Castle. I hope you are feeling much better today Michele.

All my best to you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails