Monday, August 26, 2013

What About Raffia Instead?


Grasscloth is popular and you see alot of it - but imagine these two spaces without the raffia wall covering.  It would certainly be nice but not quite the same look.  I think that since raffia has both vertical and horizontal texture the look is even warmer and more enveloping.  (room above by Eric Cohler)


From the home of Dave DeMattei and Patrick Wade via House Beautiful here, photography by Jose Picayo


The raffia that Eric Cohler used was Phillip Jeffries, African Raffia Capri Natural (here).  They also offer some amazing raffia's with a metallic finish and with stripes.  In general,  I think raffia would take stenciling very well too.







Besides well known wallcovering suppliers, you can find raffia from craft supply stores in a variety of widths - nice and cost effective if you're considering backing bookcases or covering a piece of furniture with it. The fine woven raffia cloth above is from Cane and Basket 




These fabrics are from Franks Supply here.  Notice the second fabric comes with the option of backing.  I did read that's important  for ease of hanging on walls.

My bed's headboard is upholstered in a raffia fabric.  Do you have any raffia in your house?

8 comments:

Karena said...

I am so glad you brought this option to our attention Michele! It is beautiful in the rooms you've featured! I would love to see a pick of your raffia headboard!

xoxo
Karena
Feature:Artist Anne Harwell

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

I love the texture of the raffia. I did not know it was a wallcovering option or a suitable fabric for upholstery.

The French Tangerine said...

Brilliant.. I need to spend some more time with this idea.. I love it! Hmmm.. where to use it?
XO
Jan

La Maison Fou said...

I like this idea too! Texture and coverage for not so perfect walls..feels warm too!
-Leslie

vicki archer said...

A raffia headboard sounds like a fab idea, It's such a hard wearing fabric and still looks lovely!...xv

http://vickiarcher.com

Regine said...

Love this! I am wondering if the seams blend more nicely than grass cloth?
Thanks for the inspiration!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

We have had a RAFFIA OTTOMAN...FOR THE LAST SIX YEARS. love it!

therelishedroost said...

One of my favorite wall coverings.. its so warm and timeless!! Thats why Ralph still has it in his NY showroom for years!..
xo Karolyn

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails