Saturday, March 17, 2018

Our New Old House



This is old news but like many bloggers, I  fell off with posting as the blogging landscape changed and Instagram became the new "it" place to get a design fix.  (I'm finally on Instagram here). A while back I mentioned we bought a vacation place/future retirement hub on the water in the Northern Neck. We were looking for an:
old house (I've always wanted to live in one), on the water with a dock, in a village we could walk to restaurants and a do-able drive from DC on the weekends.  
So, here it is - our 1919 American Foursquare.  Hope you enjoy the tour of all the before pics.  Even though my posts are few and far between, I am planning to post about the transformation of this house because I'm having so much fun with it! (head here for the wall mural in the living room)


Entry as seen looking down from the stairs


Entry - looking from the right corner towards the living room (yellow) and the den (green)


Living Room - to the left is the entry/front door



the kitchen, viewed from the sliding doors. (Not shown, two closets and another door to the deck)


Den - looking towards the kitchen

Door in den that leads to covered section of the deck.  You can see the other kitchen door from this door.


Powder Room under the stairs. We've dubbed it the Harry Potter Cupboard.

Now for the 2nd floor


View down the stairs from the second floor


Bedroom #1



Bedroom #2


Pic below of Bedroom #2 shows the view out to the hallway and stairs 



Bedroom #3 (above looking in from the door and below looking out in to the hallway)



2nd floor hallway bath


Master bedroom 



the master bedroom has a dressing room with 2 closets separated by a window alcove and with a sink vanity and a separate full bathroom w/a shower (not shown)



Now up to the 3rd floor (finished attic) - it has a full bath


Left side of the space


Right side - those green louvered doors are to a full bath 



The view from the porch.  The home also has an inground pool, small barn and an on-the-water oyster house and dock.

9 comments:

Connie in Hartwood said...

Thanks for the Before view of your new place! Hard to pass up something with such great bones, in a good location, with so many bathrooms! (I'm with you on the migration to Instagram. Can't totally give up the blog, tho.)

Mary Ann Pickett said...

HOW EXCITING!!! Can't wait to see how you bring out all that charm!!

Lisa Porter said...

What great place! It will be great fun making it yours. Will visit more often to see your progress!

mollie's mom said...

This is amazing!! What a find on the Neck. And an oyster house!?! I'm in awe. Can't wait to see you transform this house with so much potential!!

Connie said...

Congratulations on your new home. I love it and the neighborhood looks lovely. Sitting outside on that beautiful front porch, smiling and saying hello to everyone that pasts by . . . and you'll soon know all your neighbors. Oh, and the fun you will have making it your own . . . I see happy time ahead :)

therelishedroost said...

Oh what fun you will have doing this gem!

Notes From ABroad said...

What a wonderful house !! Exactly the kind I love. Wishing you many happy years in your new home and please keep showing photos :)

Sami Pat said...

Composing myself from jealousy I must suggest the Harry Potter room be a Closet since bathrooms were once known as closets. I will look forward to seeing how it goes. Just to note, I have also been missing but recently cared to come back for more than pictures. I started my return by visiting and reading. Bon Décor!!
~Sami

Notes From ABroad said...

I love the house and I love Before and After photos !

It is a wonderful old house ... it is going to be fun watching it come back to life .
I do not use Instagram ..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails